Current:Home > InvestWild winds fuel Southern California wildfire that has forced thousands to evacuate -Capitatum
Wild winds fuel Southern California wildfire that has forced thousands to evacuate
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-05 21:35:55
CAMARILLO, Calif. (AP) — A fast-moving wildfire fueled by heavy winds was tearing through a community northwest of Los Angeles for a second day Thursday after destroying dozens of homes and forcing thousands of residents to flee when it exploded in size in only a few hours.
The Mountain Fire prompted evacuation orders Wednesday for more than 10,000 people as it threatened 3,500 structures in suburban communities, ranches and agricultural areas around Camarillo, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement. The fire was at 0% containment late Wednesday, according to the Ventura County Fire Department.
The National Weather Service said a red flag warning, which indicates conditions for high fire danger, would remain in effect until 6 p.m. Thursday. Winds were expected to decrease significantly by Thursday night, the weather service said.
Officials in several Southern California counties urged residents to be on watch for fast-spreading blazes, power outages and downed trees amid the latest round of notorious Santa Ana winds.
The Mountain Fire was burning in a region that has seen some of California’s most destructive fires over the years. A thick plume of smoke rose hundreds of feet into the sky Wednesday, blanketing whole neighborhoods and limiting visibility for firefighters and evacuees. The fire grew from less than half of a square mile (about 1.2 square kilometers) to more than 16 square miles (62 square kilometers) in little more than five hours.
First responders pleaded with residents to evacuate. Deputies made contact with 14,000 people to urge them to leave as embers spread for miles and sparked new flames.
Ventura County Fire Captain Trevor Johnson described crews racing with their engines to homes threatened by the flames to save lives.
“This is as intense as it gets. The hair on the back of the firefighters’ neck I’m sure was standing up,” he said during a news conference Wednesday afternoon.
Two people suffered apparent smoke inhalation and were taken to hospitals Wednesday, fire officials said. No firefighters reported significant injuries.
Officials said they were using all resources, including water-dropping helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft dropping fire retardant, but it was still burning out of control. Andrew Dowd, a Ventura County fire spokesperson, said he did not have details of how many structures had been damaged.
Meanwhile to the south, Los Angeles County Fire Department crews were scrambling to contain a wildfire near Malibu’s Broad Beach as authorities briefly shut down the Pacific Coast Highway as flames burned near multimillion-dollar properties. Residents were urged to shelter in place while aircraft dropped water on the 50-acre (20-hectare) Broad Fire. By late Wednesday, the fire was at 60% containment and its forward progress was stopped, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said in a statement. Fire officials said two structures burned.
With predicted gusts up to 50 mph (80 kph) and humidity levels as low as 9%, parts of Southern California could experience conditions ripe for “extreme and life-threatening” fire behavior into Thursday, the weather service said. Wind gusts topped 61 mph (98 kph) on Wednesday.
Forecasters also issued red flag warnings until Thursday from California’s central coast through the San Francisco Bay Area and into counties to the north, where strong winds were also expected.
Utilities in California began powering down equipment during high winds and extreme fire danger after a series of massive and deadly wildfires in recent years were sparked by electrical lines and other infrastructure. On Wednesday, more than 65,000 customers in Southern California were without power preventatively, and upwards of 20,000 in Northern California.
Wednesday’s fires were burning in the same areas of other recent destructive fires, including the 2018 Woolsey Fire, which killed three people and destroyed 1,600 homes near Los Angeles, and the the 2017 Thomas Fire, which destroyed more than a thousand homes and other structures in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Southern California Edison has paid tens of millions of dollars to settle claims after its equipment was blamed for both blazes.
___
Dazio and Weber reported from Los Angeles. Associated Press journalists Ryan Pearson in Los Angeles, Amy Taxin in Orange County, California, Olga Rodriguez and Janie Har in San Francisco, and Hannah Schoenbaum in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.
veryGood! (912)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Survival teacher Woniya Thibeault was asked about a nail salon. Instead, she won 'Alone.'
- At least 3 dead in bus crash on Pennsylvania interstate, authorities say
- Possible explosion at Sherwin-Williams plant in Texas, police say
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Is it better to take Social Security at 62 or 67? Why it's worth waiting if you can.
- Costa Rican soccer player killed in crocodile attack after jumping into river
- NASCAR Cup race at Michigan disrupted by rain, will resume Monday
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Analysis: Coco Gauff’s Washington title shows she is ready to contend at the US Open
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- What is the healthiest alcohol? It's tricky. Here are some low-calorie options to try.
- A firefighting helicopter crashed in Southern California while fighting a blaze, officials say
- Dozens saved by Italy from migrant shipwrecks; some, clinging to rocks, plucked to safety by copters
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Bloomsbury USA President Adrienne Vaughan Killed During Boating Accident in Italy's Amalfi Coast
- Russian warship appears damaged after Ukrainian drone attack on Black Sea port of Novorossiysk
- Montgomery police say 4 active warrants out after brawl at Riverfront Park in Alabama
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Man whose body was found in a barrel in Malibu had been shot in the head, coroner says
Ozempic and Wegovy maker courts prominent Black leaders to get Medicare's favor
Woman found dead on Phoenix-area hike, authorities say it may be heat related
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Hank the Tank, Lake Tahoe bear linked to at least 21 home invasions, has been captured
Penguins acquire 3-time Norris Trophy-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson in a trade with the Sharks
U.S. Women's National Team Eliminated From 2023 World Cup After Cruel Penalty Shootout